I just added a page to my about me section, but I thought I'd share it as a post first. In case you were wondering, here are 25 things about me!
1. I have a small birthmark on my left arm that is the exact shade of maple syrup. When I was a kid, I would try to scrub it off in the shower, thinking I had gotten maple syrup on my arm (again) and that it was just something that was really hard to scrub off.
2. I like to title things after favorite quotes. This blog's title was inspired by a quote from one of my favorite books: A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. The quote goes like this: “We ate well and cheaply and drank well and cheaply and slept well and warm together and loved each other.”
3. I need to make the bed every day.
4. Pee Wee's Big Adventure is one of the only movies I can quote on command.
5. I'm the person who's always trying to turn a regular party into a dance party.
6. I have a reoccurring dream about being swept into the ocean. My sister has the same dream.
7. I am in the process of editing my third young adult novel. I read one time that one of my favorite writers, Sara Zarr wasn't published until her 5th book. That book- Story of A Girl, was a National Book Award finalist. This information helps me sleep at night.
8. My dirty secret: I'm a children's librarian and have never read any of the Harry Potter books.
9. Bananas are my enemy.
10. It took me a long time to feel okay about wearing black and brown together. I have since realized that not only is black and brown together super cute, it is also liberating. Still working on black and navy blue combo though.
11. Ice cream flavors of choice: mint chocolate chip or rocky road. Favorite Ben and Jerry's: New York Super Fudge Chunk (rich people's ice cream).
12. I have a reality show fantasy that goes like this: I will become a famous best selling YA author. Because I am a famous writer, I will be asked to be on Dancing With the Stars. I will graciously accept. I will win the show.
13. Grammar and spelling make me feel stupid.
14. I hate the phrase "that's gonna leave a mark." When will that stop being a joke in bad movies?
15. When I was in sixth grade we had to write what we wanted to be when we grew up, and they printed it in the yearbook. I wrote "a life guard at Cape May beach."
16. The Gilmore Girls theme song gets stuck in my head a lot.
17. After I saw the first Sex in the City movie, whenever I walked to work (in the west village SJP's hood) I would think about what I would say to Sarah Jessica Parker if I ran into her. I never did, but this is what I would say: "you gave the fans everything they wanted!"
18. I always try to sit in the two-seater seat on the train. Some people call this the homeless people seat, I call it the luxury seat.
19. I used to wake my parents up in the middle of the night, and make them go over our family fire safety plan with me.
20. One time I was walking home and a cockroach flew out of a tree and landed on my shoulder. A flying cockroach. WTF, I was in Queens not South America!
21. My first job was at a daycare center where I was in charge of like, 12 one and a half year olds. The hardest pert of my job was keeping them from biting one another. I could also change thirty diapers in thirty minutes. I was 15.
22. I don't care which side of the bed I sleep on. Neither does Alex. We don't sleep on the same side every night. Whenever I've told this to someone, they are always appalled.
23. I hate going to the eye doctor. I would rather go to the dentist than the eye doctor. Probably because I've never had a cavity and the dentist always praises me and makes me feel fabulous because of my outstanding dental health.
24. I have to stop ordering sweet and sour chicken from Happy Family Chinese Takeout. It always gives me a stomachache, but it tastes so good and fried. Happy Family always becomes Sad Family.
25. Whenever I watch America's Funniest Home Video's it makes me feel really happy about life, becuase I realize that I have more things in common with people than I do differences. For example, everyone thinks people falling down on the dance floor is funny.